FEEDBACK

The Commodore OS Vision Linux distribution and Linux software discussion and help.
Lessss
pinterest Kuchnie na Wymiar Warszawa

FEEDBACK

Post by Lessss »

Installer failed when I told it to use the entire disk - conked out about 12%, restarted it, failed again but never really told me it failed. Killed it restarted and it worked when I manually configured it.

Running the commodore OS updater... It looks like it has stalled or failed..... I suggest adding a button to allow the user to see what is currently running. Preferably with a progress percentage....
It took a REALLY long time but did eventually finish.

Had to use a USB to install because the only burnable dvds I have are 4.7gig. Please consider modifying the iso to fit on 4.7 discs.... Perhaps don't install so much software but instead have a utility to run that asks what to install in terms of browsers, programming language and perhaps even emulators.

Odd choice to lock down the themeing. I'm sure people will eventually want to make custom changes, but apparently some changes can be made under look and feel

Well done
Enjoying it so far.

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Re: FEEDBACK

Post by LeoNigro »

I've never had problems with the installer having installed COS at least 50 times.
It might be worth checking your drive.

Yes, I've acknowledged I got a little too clever with the updater and will unhide what it is doing in the next version or update.
However it's not much more than a:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update 
sudo apt-get upgrade.
This updates all the existing software packages and it will only really take some length of time the first time you run it.
From then on updates will be minimal.

The original COS1.0 was typically installed from DVDs and the 2011 C64x contained a DVD or Bluray drive on it's left side.
There were 2 DVDs for COS1 and to install the content from the second DVD (called Extras), which I firmly believed completed the experience, was cumbersome.
The ISO file size back in 2011 was limited to the size of a DVD (4.6GB) and we barely scraped in.
Nowadays the ISO can be any size which means I don't have to make any sacrifices, or stuff around with alternate loaders like I now do with the Linux Games, which really should have been included within the ISO image, and might be in the next.
If they were pre-configured my OCD brain would have pre-categorised the games by Genre for a neater user experience, instead of lumping then together by default in the Games menu like the installer does.
Also, nowadays, DVDs are almost obsolete, and fewer people have DVD drives than USB ports.
Its far easier and particularly less error prone to write to a cheap 8GB reusable USB stick than a DVD.
I guess I could have made a smaller ISO, and then prompted people to optionally install even more later, but it wasn't the goal.
The primary goal was to create the base installed OS experience for the Commodore 64x, so ISO size really wasn't a concern.

While the Blue/Cyan theme is the main recommended theme, deliberately drawing from the C64 welcome screen colors or the original Workbench, the theming most certainly isn't locked.
A quick way to change the window content theme, the background, the fonts, the icons etc is by right clicking the background and selecting "Change Desktop Background". (explosion sounds abound, and I have no idea why)
However, the Window title and border graphics are managed by Emerald which I have renamed for simplicity to "Window Theme Manager" in the "Look and Feel" menu (use at own risk). You can even make COS look like a MacOS, Windows Xp or Vista, if you want.
Back in COS 1.0 there was a mechanism to select one of our pre-built Commodore themes which were in different colours, and it would modify both technologies at once, including the menu bar graphic.
Unfortunately, that functionality is disabled, as the exact themes from 2011 are no longer available (because they're incompatible).
I would like to get some semblance of that functionality back.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)