Hello to my C64 friends

Welcome to the Commodore OS forums. Tell us a little bit about yourself. Photos of your C64x give you extra karma!
Bruce
pinterest Kuchnie na Wymiar Warszawa

Hello to my C64 friends

Post by Bruce »

Hello,

My name is Bruce and I am in the USA. Grew up in the Philly area. My first computer was the TRS-80 COCO but after about 2 years with that I was introduced to the C64 by a friend that had just about every game and program available at the time. When I saw the graphics and sound on the C64 I realized it was way better than my TRS-80 so I got one with the 1541 disk drive. Had tons of fun with it until I started getting into the IBM clone PC craze.

Now all these years later when Retro Games came out with "The C64 maxi" I had to have one. I loved how it could perfectly emulate and play all my programs and some cool new ones. I knew it used LINUX and kept thinking it would be so cool if I could get into it and get it on the internet. Well, the processor was not as fast as a PI 4 and I wanted to keep it stock. When I first saw the kickstarter for the new Commodore 64 I got immediately interested and signed up. It was a very difficult decision on what color as I would have like the original color but was torn with the translucent one with the light up keyboard. I finally decided on the translucent and really love this thing. I increased the SSD to 1-TB and the RAM to 16GB and I am in the process of figuring out the Commodore OS 2.0. I really love it and I am trying to get away from Windows as much as possible. I decided to create a dual partition to put Win-11 on it as well but plan on using the COS as much as possible. This OS rocks! I really love all the work that was done to make it what it is today. Hopefully at some point they will have an easier way to have it find the wifi and scan for available networks.

I am also a ham radio operator KC3JS and love all things radio and electronics.

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Re: Hello to my C64 friends

Post by LeoNigro »

Hi Bruce,

Welcome to the site. I'm so happy you are enjoying Commodore OS Vision.

How did you go with the dual OS set up?
That's a rather advanced for a lot of people.
It's not like Microsoft are going to facilitate it. In fact they called us up most unhappy with the prospect back in 2011.

I figure to do it, you need to install COS with enough room on the primary partition for Windows.
Then install Windows to that existing primary partition space you made.
Then you have to re-initiate the Commodore OS boot menu (Grub).
To re-initiate the boot menu you should run the Live OS (What you used to install COS)
and go to menu:
System --> Commodore OS --> Restore Boot Menu.

I've not yet tried to dual boot with the current COS version. I really should get around to doing that.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)