Key mapping C64 Emulator (solved)

The Commodore OS Vision Linux distribution and Linux software discussion and help.
Bruce
pinterest Kuchnie na Wymiar Warszawa

Key mapping C64 Emulator (solved)

Post by Bruce »

Has anyone else had an issue while running the C64 or C128 emulator that is included with COS where some of the keys don't work. For example the W, A, S and Z keys don't work while most other letter keys do. Also the Vic-20 emulator the keys all work perfectly. I am using the translucent C64 from the kickstarter project. When I plug in an external USB keyboard the C64 emulator in COS has the same exact key issues as the light up keyboard. I enjoy playing with BASIC and love the C64 emulator. If anyone has any ideas as to what is wrong or if you have the same issue. Please share with the group.

Bruce

Re: C64 Emulator Issue in COS

Post by Bruce »

For anyone having this issue with the W, A, S, Z keys not working in the C64 or C128 emulator- The fix is that these keys were by default mapped as joystick commands. You need to go into the emulator setting and change the settings from keyboard to joystick. This solved my issue. I hope this can help someone else trying to program in basic.

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Re: C64 Emulator Issue in COS

Post by LeoNigro »

Yeah, I guess that's my doing. I mapped a joystick port to those keys to make it easier to start playing games.
It's a catch 22. I figure 99% of people are going to use the emulation to play games....
and probably won't have joysticks handy or know how to switch between joystick ports.
Personally, in most emulators, I tend to plonk around on the keyboard until I find ones that work and C64 games could be either port.
Of course the cursor keys would be mapped to the other joystick, so you're probably going to have a similar issue there.
I assumed if you're using emulation for BASIC that you'd be prepared to go to the next step and unmap those keys. Sorry.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

Bruce

Re: Key mapping C64 Emulator (solved)

Post by Bruce »

Hi Leo,
No worries. When I got into the emulator I tried doing my classic “Hello World “ and that’s when I first thought my new keyboard was defective. Thankfully it was all good. I appreciate the hard work that must have went into this project. Hopefully there will be a way to scan for wifi networks in the future. I do realize Linux doesn’t support every wifi card. Now I’m trying to setup a dual partition to boot between windows and COS Linux. Seems everything is a learning process and it didn’t work right off, so I’m sorting that out. Thanks for all your hard work and help. … Bruce