WIFI issues (solved)

The Commodore OS Vision Linux distribution and Linux software discussion and help.
Bruce
pinterest Kuchnie na Wymiar Warszawa

WIFI issues (solved)

Post by Bruce »

Hey- I noticed that a few folks are having problems getting the Wifi working after a fresh install of Commodore OS 2.0. I had received my brand new translucent C64 with the beautiful colorful keyboard and there was a bluetooth icon but nothing for wifi even though this mother board has a built in intel Wifi/bluetooth card. Here are the steps I had to take to get the Linux system to find the wifi (see below). there may be an easier way but I could not find any way to scan for wireless networks.

First go to SYSTEM tab then PREFRENCES then INTERNET+NETWORK then ADVANCED NETWORK CONFIG
Click on the "+" in the bottom left corner and go through the list and choose Wifi
Enter the SSID of your router exactly as it appears on your other devices
Go to the SECURITY tab and choose WPA+WPA2 Personal (That is the most widely used)
Enter your password for the router exactly as in your other connected devices and save it.

You should find that within a minute you should see the wifi signal indicator at the top right of the OS. Open you internet browser and hopefully you will connect right off.

If you don't have a linux compatable Wifi adapter you may need to buy a little USB adapter. I found that the Edimax N150 Nano USB adapter will work but you need to put the Linux drivers from the Edimax website onto a usb memory stick and put it into the downloads folder in the operating system and it should find it. I can assure you 100% that this adapter will work. It was very inexpensive on Amazon and the exact Model number is EW-7811Un

I hope this helps others. Let me know if you figure out a way to scan for available wifi networks or an easier solution. Thanks...Bruce

Bruce

Re: No WIFI issues

Post by Bruce »

Just an update on Wifi- After doing a fresh installation of Commodore OS-2 There was an (X) in the upper right corner of my monitor. After clicking on the (X), it had a list of available Wifi connections and even found that if I plugged in my Edimax USB Wifi adapter, it found it right off without any driver installations. Not sure why the (X) icon was not available during the first time I installed.

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Re: WIFI issues (solved)

Post by LeoNigro »

I've marked this issue as solved.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)