Dreamcast Emulation?

Help and guidance on all things regarding classic computer and console emulation via Commodore OS.
Unkle K
pinterest Kuchnie na Wymiar Warszawa

Dreamcast Emulation?

Post by Unkle K »

Hi Leo,

Is there any chance of Dreamcast emulation in a future update?

Kevin

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Dreamcast Emulation?

Post by LeoNigro »

Well, yes, but......it isn't a priority. Dreamcast is pretty much the only system I've never tried emulating.

TBH, the focus, at least in the short term, will be more on further enabling 8-bit and 16-bit retro system emulation (particularly Commodore systems).
At least the beginnings of a game launcher has got to be in the next update.

If you can't wait, Dreamcast emulators appear easy enough to install yourself after a quick google.
If you are able to, why not give them a try, and provide some feedback on which one is the best.
Even better, we would be grateful if you could post the steps you used to achieve it on the forum.
Then I can script something up for everyone to get by default in a later update.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Re: Dreamcast Emulation?

Post by LeoNigro »

Unkle K wrote:
Sounds fair. I downloaded Redream and the Dreamcast emulation was perfect!! It just provides you with an executable - no installation required + native Linux support.

https://redream.io/
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Post by LeoNigro »

Did you use the Windows version?
That seems to launch fine through Wine....(but I've not tested with games)

If you used the Linux version, how did you get it to work?

I executed the following:

Code: Select all

cd /tmp;wget https://redream.io/download/redream.x86_64-linux-v1.5.0.tar.gz; tar xvfz redream.x86_64-linux-v1.5.0.tar.gz;chmod +x redream;sudo mv redream /usr/bin
I then ran redream
It saw my controllers fine but bugged out with a library.c file missing error.
It looked like it almost worked....
It also complained it couldn't find a config file.

I tried Flycast also but it refuses to compile from source.

lexi

Post by lexi »

LeoNigro wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:28 pm Unkle K wrote:
Sounds fair. I downloaded Redream and the Dreamcast emulation was perfect!! It just provides you with an executable - no installation required + native Linux support.

https://redream.io/
I can confirm that Redream is excellent. Paid for a licence and no regrets. I now need to install on my new C64x translucent running Commodore OS
C64x Translucent (Intel® Dual-Core Processor J3355) + LG BU40N Blu-Ray UHD drive