Translucent Keyboard

Computer hardware info, help, support and suggestions relating to MyRetroComputer's C64x.
Unkle K
pinterest Kuchnie na Wymiar Warszawa

Translucent Keyboard

Post by Unkle K »

Hi,

I'm probably missing something simple here, and I've tried looking, but... How do I mess around with the LEDS on the translucent keyboard in COS? Is there a setting or app that allows me to configure them?

Thanks,
Kevin

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Re: Translucent Keyboard

Post by LeoNigro »

Is there an app on Windows? I'm yet to talk to Sean about this.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Post by LeoNigro »

I just heard from Sean that apparently there is no software. Sorry.

I don't have the translucent one, but I imagine the various animations are triggered by keyboard combos unrelated to the OS.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

James N

Post by James N »

I lobbied quite hard for the industry standard QMK firmware, but I guess the money wasn't there for it to happen.

Deepshadow(MRC)

Post by Deepshadow(MRC) »

Hi Kevin,
I'm sorry there is no software control over the led functionality - this came down to cost but also time - I did push for QMK but our partners resisted and said this would add more cost and time. The project had gone on for so long already, i just wanted to get the keyboards built and in the hands of the backers, so I signed off on the model that you have now.

The main problem with all the delays was the low quantities involved. our partners kept pushing us to the back of the queue in favour much larger orders (Phillips and Microsoft come to mind) and this also meant that i had less time with their engineers. it was all so annoying and i suppose a massive learning curve for me.

Although, there are many things i am not happy with, overall i think with the resources that they had, in the end our partners did a good job - i just wish they were a tad faster!

lexi

Post by lexi »

James N wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:32 am I lobbied quite hard for the industry standard QMK firmware, but I guess the money wasn't there for it to happen.
I havent come across QWK before but just an initial read this is really interesting and opens a whole new world for something I knew I wanted but didnt know how it works. I am now wondering if the chip on the keyboard is QMK compatible or either without any changes as if it uses a standard micro controller or needs some firmware changes. Something I will need to look at now I have my translucent.

Down the rabbit hole I go ...
C64x Translucent (Intel® Dual-Core Processor J3355) + LG BU40N Blu-Ray UHD drive

lexi

Post by lexi »

Deepshadow(MRC) wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:13 am I'm sorry there is no software control over the led functionality - this came down to cost but also time - I did push for QMK but our partners resisted and said this would add more cost and time. The project had gone on for so long already, i just wanted to get the keyboards built and in the hands of the backers, so I signed off on the model that you have now.
Do you have the technical details for the translucent keyboard, which micro-processor it is using?

Don't worry if not, as I can take mine apart again at the weekend, as having checked the QMK website https://docs.qmk.fm/#/flashing it is compatible with a range of micro-processors. So if its capable of updating the firmware in some fashion even with some jumper pins then this is something I am willing to take a look at.
C64x Translucent (Intel® Dual-Core Processor J3355) + LG BU40N Blu-Ray UHD drive

lexi

Post by lexi »

Quick update while installng my BD drive I had the opportunity to take a look at the keyboard circuit. It has two chips, Nuvoton NUC123SD4BN0 which doing a bit of googling is the controller chip for the keyboard overall, with the CH555L another chip driving the LEDs for the keyboard.

I have attached a photo, but this does not appear straightforward, like if it was using an Atmel or STM32 controller chip. With those I have flashed them for other projects, but with this one while there is some pin header I dont want to run the risk of bricking the keyboard at this stage.

Looking at the compatible chips for QMK I dont think that even if flashing was possible, it is not currently possible to flash a compatible firmware.
QMK Flashing reference link: https://docs.qmk.fm/#/flashing
Attachments
Translucent chipset
Translucent chipset
C64xTranslucent.jpg (170.79 KiB) Viewed 34 times