Mate version

The Commodore OS Vision Linux distribution and Linux software discussion and help.
Aulddood
pinterest Kuchnie na Wymiar Warszawa

Mate version

Post by Aulddood »

Hi Leo, can you confirm the flavour of Mate used in Commodore OS. I am assuming it is Debian. Is this correct ?

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Re: Mate version

Post by LeoNigro »

Yes.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

kernal_popper

Post by kernal_popper »

Hello, glad to see Commodore OS Vision back under active development! I took the original version for a spin in 2011, when it was based off Mint 9 (or whichever Mint version was based on Ubuntu 10.04.) Mate desktop seems to be the easiest way forward, as a continuation of Gnome 2.x from those days. I'm interested in the reason for going to Debian for the revival, and if any of the config files from the V1 days made their way to V2. Thanks! Looking forward to seeing what becomes of this Debian re-spin.

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Post by LeoNigro »

Many of the tools used in creating the original distro were no longer present or supported or didn't allow the configurability I was looking for.
MX-Linux, based on Debian, is one of the most popular distros, and has continued development of many of these tools, allowing for "respins".
To my knowledge COS is the the only MX-Linux respin that includes the MATE desktop let alone Compiz/Emerald, which I find most gratifying.

Practically all the config files were no longer compatible after 12 years, and as such, preferences needed to be visually reconstructed.
All the old scripts are there but are no longer referenced unless they work fully, many were modified, and there are a bunch of new ones, and new ones coming.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)