The Site Keeps Bouncing

Topics not covered in the other forums.
LeoNigro
Site Admin
pinterest Kuchnie na Wymiar Warszawa

The Site Keeps Bouncing

Post by LeoNigro »

Do you guys have trouble reaching the commodoreos sites sometimes?

I think this is happening every couple of weeks....and because I check in only once a day, which I feel is reasonable, the site can be down for as long as a day or more.

My service provider told me the DNS cache needs to be cleared.
And so.....Disabling and re-enabling the DNS settings from my site's control panel gets the site back up instantly.

When it happened last month, I thought it was because the certificate expired, and it took a while to figure out this was the problem, before I could apply the certificate.

Is this normal? It seems like a stupid problem to have in this day and age.
What am I supposed to do? Login and flush the DNS cache every day?

It's not like this provider has only begun operating, and they knew immediately what the problem was.
How can this still be a problem in 2024?
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

lexi

Re: The Site Keeps Bouncing

Post by lexi »

Yes, I had this yesterday. So having seen this post earlier in the week I thought I would check somethings.

Going to https://www.commodoreos.net works, I see the C64 classic welcome screen. Then loading the page https://www.commodoreos.net/CommodoreOS.aspx it seems to be in a loop of redirects. Then error page is loaded.

If this happens again I think i should be able to see what may be happening using something like wireshark. Before i do that which may be a while, i wanted to ask. Is this site hosted on different servers? Or any redirect you are aware of?
C64x Translucent (Intel® Dual-Core Processor J3355) + LG BU40N Blu-Ray UHD drive

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Post by LeoNigro »

I made a change to the TTL setting which was recommended to me so let's see how that goes.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

lexi

Post by lexi »

hi Leo, didnt work. It bounced again just now. Strange thing is the C64 welcome screen did not even load this time, just flat out fail to load page in the browser. I have done a wireshark capture and will analyse it to see if there is anything I can see from the outside that might point to a problem.
C64x Translucent (Intel® Dual-Core Processor J3355) + LG BU40N Blu-Ray UHD drive

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Post by LeoNigro »

I have made a change to my nameserver settings. They appear to have been reset.
Admittedly I may have screwed up the settings originally anyway.
But one would think it wouldn't have worked in the first place.
Let's see how it goes now.

lexi

Post by lexi »

Looking better, working today, and looking at the wireshark capture it didnt show anything interesting, but I checked your DNS details for this domain and you appear to have a problem with one of your name servers, ns2.asphostserver.org is unresponsive and ns207.asphostserver.org is working, so you have only one name server actually working. Be worth checking with the hosting provider why ns2 is not working.

Using nslookup command I got the following output,

root@ubuntu:~# nslookup www.commodoreos.net ns2.asphostserver.org
Server: ns2.asphostserver.org
Address: 69.167.149.172#53

** server can't find www.commodoreos.net: REFUSED

root@ubuntu:~# nslookup www.commodoreos.net ns207.asphostserver.org
Server: ns207.asphostserver.org
Address: 69.167.149.143#53

www.commodoreos.net canonical name = commodoreos.net.
Name: commodoreos.net
Address: 69.167.149.141

And, using MXToolbox I orginally found there may be problem, this link is safe,
https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?ac ... n=toolpage