Graphics Issue Solution?!

The Commodore OS Vision Linux distribution and Linux software discussion and help.
LeoNigro
Site Admin
pinterest Kuchnie na Wymiar Warszawa

Graphics Issue Solution?!

Post by LeoNigro »

I believe I have a solution to the N100 graphics support problem which is an in place upgrade of the distro to Debian 12 .
This involves downloading new versions of every single package and could take a couple of hours to complete.

I wasn't planning on moving Commodore OS to Debian 12 until next year and it would be after substantial testing.
As the procedure doesn't appear to be script-able(yet) I probably will have to start COS3 from a base Debian 12 and apply changes on top again.

I have tried this and it has worked after a fashion, but appears to be a little flaky and breaks a few minor things.
These things might be of no concern to you.

A few issues that I have noticed are:
My own update functionality appears to be broken. (probably because gksu is no longer supported.)
  • There are some theme issues with some apps. (Nautilus gtk3 filemanager in particular which I'm deprecating anyway)
  • The Dock seems to go awol sometimes. (comes and goes)
  • Workspace selection in the top menu disappeared. (comes and goes which is weird)
  • Graphics rendering appears slightly less fluid (sometimes).
  • All Commodore emulators won't launch. (probably a $PATH variable reset. Can be fixed.)
  • Debian logo appears instead of CommodoreOS title in Plymouth boot animation. (can be fixed)
  • Firefox reset to MX-Linux page again.
  • Duplicate package warnings. (Can be fixed)
It would appear a few features have been deprecated in Debian 12 which break a few of my scripts and therefore require workarounds.
I might attempt to pre-empt with some work-arounds in update 1. Or not. The list is getting long and the longer it takes......
BTW Update 1 will ALSO be available for download as a entire distro download as will COS3 next year.

WARNING:
If your hardware is already working fine and you have high res display capability then I don't recommend the following procedure just yet.
You will be deviating form the pre-packed distro and I might not be able to assist if there are issues at this time.
If there are breaking issues lets keep them in this thread and perhaps we can include issue fixes in the script.
This script will differ from others found online and is specific to Commodore OS.

At the very least you can perform this upgrade and likely get your graphics working by issuing the following commands.
You will effectively be guinea pigs. :D

READ CAREFULLY:
Unfortunately the distro upgrade command cannot be left unattended(maybe, I changed the command, and need to confirm) as it stops and prompts you several times which includes GUI dialogs.
When prompted press enter at the prompts to ACCEPT THE DEFAULT which is to keep the current scripts. It will not work otherwise!!!!
When the dialog appears prompting you to allow services to be stopped and restarted, select the checkbox so they are...otherwise you will be prompted several times.
There will likely be many warnings and errors to ignore.
If the dist-upgrade command fails at the end due to a trigger processing timeout run it again.
If you reboot and end up in text mode, login "Commodore" and "C=" for password(if you haven't changed it)
Be sure to run the commands entitled "some fixes" below.

Commands to issue from the command line: (the ones not beginning with # or echo)

Code: Select all

echo "clean apt cache"
sudo apt clean

echo "Update apt repositories from bullseye to bookworm"
find /etc/apt -type f -name "*.list" -print0 | xargs -0 sudo sed -i.bak "s/bullseye/bookworm/g"

echo "Add optional non-free repos"
echo "deb https://deb.debian.org/debian/ bookworm main contrib non-free non-free-firmware" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list

echo "update software repositories"
sudo apt update

echo "Install software updates"
#DO BELOW LINE INSTEAD FOR UNATTENDED. sudo apt dist-upgrade -y
sudo NEEDRESTART_MODE=a apt-get dist-upgrade --yes

# TBD Need to remove mx-linux entries from sources.

echo "Update software repositories"
sudo apt update

echo "Remove unnecessary packages"
sudo apt autoremove -y

echo "Clean apt cache"
sudo apt clean

echo "Apply some fixes"
sudo apt -y install task-mate-desktop 
sudo apt install cairo-dock -y

# TBD Need to fix duplicate sources entries.

echo "reboot"
sudo reboot now
If you attempt to do this please let me know below before you start, as I can then provide an update if there are any changes required.

Good luck.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

Deepshadow(MRC)

Re: Graphics Issue Solution?!

Post by Deepshadow(MRC) »

I have a spare board, so will try this solution tonight! :D

brundaged

Post by brundaged »

I just upgraded an original C64x from 2011 to the N100 board and ran into this display problem. After attempting the full upgrade I can report that:

- It doesn't change the screen resolution options available,
- The OS is unresponsive with weird pauses between clicking something and response

I'm sharing this in the hope it helps. I'm not complaining: I find Commodore OS delightful to use and am glad it exists!

As it is I may just install Ubuntu and wait for a future update, but let me know if I can try anything that will help move the project forward.

Derrick

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Post by LeoNigro »

Sorry it didn't work out. Thanks for trying.
I don't suppose you could try the latest Debian release?
That is what the above upgrade should have morphed the OS into, but perhaps it didn't work properly.
I wonder if this is a mate or compiz desktop issue.
I can provide you instructions on how to install these if you want to try it as they won't be the default Debian desktop.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

lexi

Post by lexi »

I went to Debian 12 earlier in the week when I was trying to fix a Bluetooth 5.4 USB driver issue. After various tries at various fixes I did the dist upgrade to see if a later Debian may fix it. It was a little painful, lost a lot of the CommodoreOS feel and functionality but it has somehow come back mostly.

An example I lost initially a lot of the GUI look and feel like transparent windows, the wavy windows when you move them etc. It magically came back. Not sure if there is an autoscript or because i ran apt upgrade a few times it may have reinstalled any customisation. But I am keen to give OS3 a go when its available and loving OS v2.

It would be cool if Leo gets a chance to post how to implement the customisations on a vanilla build or reinstall if they have been removed etc. No biggie but would be good to have this to hand.
C64x Translucent (Intel® Dual-Core Processor J3355) + LG BU40N Blu-Ray UHD drive

brundaged

Post by brundaged »

I ended up installing the latest version of Linux Mint and the resolution was fine (1920x1080). Prior to that I briefly tried Zorin OS which also worked fine. I believe both are Debian-based.

Would it help to install Debian itself? I'll try it if so.

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Post by LeoNigro »

Was it the Mate version of Linux Mint? Just so we're comparing apples with apples.

brundaged

Post by brundaged »

No, it was Cinnamon.

I installed the latest version of Debian 12 this morning with the same results: Everything just works.