Installing Commodore OS Vision

The Commodore OS Vision Linux distribution and Linux software discussion and help.
LeoNigro
Site Admin
pinterest Kuchnie na Wymiar Warszawa

Installing Commodore OS Vision

Post by LeoNigro »

Installation Instructions

The iso file is a live image of Commodore OS Vision 2.0.
Commodore OS is a 64-bit image and will not run on 32-bit machines. (Anything less than 15 years old)
To run comfortably I would recommend a 100Gb drive or larger (but no less than 40Gb).
There is an optional script that will also download and install 50+ Linux games.

Step 1

You have a number of options:

a) You can run the image directly within a Virtual machine like VirtualBox.
To do so create a new Machine with the desired specification(Enable 3D Acceleration),
and in Settings choose the ISO from the Storage section Optical Drive (Select Live CD/DVD).
You should get all the effects(a little choppier) but Wine Games won't work well if at all.

b) You can install Commodore OS to your PC via an SD card or USB stick.
Use a USB imaging tool to copy the ISO installation image file to your USB stick or SD Card.
Rufus for Windows(https://rufus.ie/en/) is recommended and Unetbootin for Linux would most likely work.
There is a high likelihood that you will need to get into your computer's BIOS(a key specified during boot up) to change
the Boot drive order to boot from the USB stick or SD card instead of your PC's Hard Drive.
(You may need to set it back after installation).

c) You can also run Commodore OS directly off the USB stick or SD card, which is usually the same experience but loads files slower.
If you've set persistence during the image creation your modifications might stick.

Step 2

Select the Commodore OS Vision menu option to launch into the Commodore OS desktop experience.
Follow the prompts in the Commodore OS Greeter Window to launch the installer.

Options:

a) A regular install using the entire disk is the fastest and easiest option and recommended. (I wouldn't bother with the Encryption option)

b) Choose "Customize the disk layout" if you want to try and install other operating systems later that may be selected via the Grub boot menu.
The best way to set up the partitions to facilitate the other OSes is beyond the scope of this document
but may be discussed on the Commodore OS forum (http://forum.commodoreos.net).

Note: When presented to "Choose partitions" if you want to alter the partition sizes you will need to run
the partition management application by clicking on the tiny icon near the bottom of the list area.
(the default password is "C=". A "C" followed by "=")

If you do install other OSes you can attempt to re-instate the Grub Boot menu from within the Live USB desktop menu.
System --> Commodore OS --> Restore Boot Menu

Click the "Next" button to proceed through the installation and agree to formatting the Hard Disk.

I would recommend the following settings:
Computer Name: Commodore
Computer domain: Commodore

Click "Next" and set your locale appropriately.

Installation should then proceed to completion and the computer can reboot when you click the "Finish" button.
Remove the USB stick or SD Card you had inserted. You may have to re-enter BIOS to enable booting off the Hard Disk.

Enjoy!!!

ADDENDUM:
Some of the unique features included in the Commodore OS menu are presented below:
System --> Commodore OS

It is a good idea to update the kernel on a new installation to ensure that more current hardware is supported. (So far this hasn't caused problems.)
System --> Commodore OS --> Additional Features --> Install Latest Linux Kernel

There is an OEM option that configures the desktop so that next time the user turns on the PC they are treated as a new user and can go through the welcome wizard without the installation step.
System --> Commodore OS --> Additional Features --> Set OEM

Also, if you are setting this system up for someone who is interested in games, 50 of the best linux games can be auto installed from the menu:
System --> Commodore OS --> Additional Features --> Free Games Installer
Click here for a list of the games: viewtopic.php?t=10 complete with install/uninstall commands.

Instructions on how to obtain and install legal Commodore ROMS can be found here:
System --> Commodore OS --> Additional Features --> Cloanto Commodore ROM Setup

Don't forget to try clicking on the Commodore/C= logo in the dock which will take you to a number of nostalgia filled retro games, demos and music for various retro systems.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

Pad00100

Re: Installing Commodore OS Vision

Post by Pad00100 »

I am currently installing the New Commodore OS in Virtual BOX. Commodore OS 1 was based on Linux Mint, the new OS is based directly on Debian right ? This certainly makes it even lighter and faster :)

mohonkjoey

Post by mohonkjoey »

ImageWhen booting from ISO, I get stuck on "waiting for /dev to be fully populated..." I am using the Asus N100DX-ITX

Is there any chance of someone providing a bit more instruction on how to install and not boot/run from USB drive
Attachments
IMG_6836.png
IMG_6836.png (153.72 KiB) Viewed 5111 times

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Post by LeoNigro »

First of all. Congratulations on your new C64x!!! It looks absolutely bonkers cool!!!
All those lights....I'm starting to get into that sort of thing, with a few LED animations around the office.
You may have to update the kernel(from the internet) for your hardware to be fully supported as the first order of business AFTER installation.
System --> Commodore OS --> Install Latest Linux Kernel

Looking at the picture you provided, you seem to be somehow installing from Windows....at least it looks like Windows 10? It's a bit fuzzy.
Please note that you MUST commence the installation from the Live image booted from your USB/SD card, and not from within Windows.
You do that by getting into the BIOS menu, and there's usually a clue whilst the machine is booting up as to what key to press. (e.g. F10 or Esc?).
Once in the BIOS menu you are required to modify the Hard drive boot order in your BIOS to the required USB port or SD card interface.
As there are many different BIOS menu systems you will have to try your best to work it out I'm afraid.
From what I've seen it's probably under the Boot tab.
Please follow the installation instructions on the initial post in this thread.
If you still have any questions let me know.

WARNING: if you install via the instructions you will be blowing Windows away. You might not want that.
I don't think you're quite ready for the instructions on how to set up a dual boot system right now, and I'm not fully ready to provide them.
I believe you have to install Windows last, and you have to leave enough space on the primary partition to do so.
I haven't done it since Windows 7, so I'll have to see how it all works these days. Gosh I miss Win7.
Or, as I mentioned in the instructions, if you want to keep windows you can download VirtualBox for free, and install and run Commodore OS within that program. Or alternatively, run Windows with Virtual Box in COS (it may force a new installation key though).
Or if you work out the BIOS settings, you may want to try the live image of Commodore OS out for a bit, to see if it is okay for you.
You could just minimise the welcome window (which leads to the installer), and play around without installation.

To be honest though.....There's no way I'm running stinking Windows on my C64x personally. If I must I'll install it inside VirtualBox.
But I have the luxury of another machine for Windows if I need it. That said, now I'm going to have to try and document the dual boot thing on it.

Interesting fact: When we publicised we were going to dual boot Commodore OS and Windows on the C64x back in 2010 at Commodore USA we got a rather threatening call from Microsoft dissuading us. They really, really don't want that kind of stuff happening. Basically the cost of Windows would be retail rather than OEM for us. So we didn't go though with it in the end. IIRC It was one OS or the other or neither.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

mohonkjoey

Post by mohonkjoey »

Thank you for the reply, YES, I was able to get my new machine in 2 days shipped from China. ($$$). but very happy!!!

I'm only booting from the USB ISO and getting that error message.

I boot from ISO, I F11 to boot from USB Key, then choose "Commodore OS-Vision x64 (Dec 13, 2023) , then it goes to "Waiting for /dev to be fully populated".

I was messing around in that pic installing windows when I couldn't get Commodore OS vision to boot. It's just a 1TB SSD in there right now...
Attachments
3.jpg
3.jpg (255.73 KiB) Viewed 5099 times

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Post by LeoNigro »

Was the ISO written to the USB using Rufus on Windows?
I don't think this is the problem but I'm just curious.

The message is a common one, apparently, and the solution, unfortunately, may be complex.
But before I go there......
Does it time out after ten minutes and continue to the next thing?

wonderli

Post by wonderli »

First a big thanks for this great looking OS ! could install it in Virtualbox without issues.
Just received my ASrock N100DC and running into the same issue. Created the USB on Windows with Rufus.
It stays on this screen (had breakfast meanwhile ...)

Meanwhile i tried booting from DVD, but it's getting stuck at the same point.

mohonkjoey

Post by mohonkjoey »

I’m ok with a complex solution. The latest Rufus was used for the image. Yeah, it stays on that screen for hours.

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Post by LeoNigro »

Sorry for the late reply.

Before we get into something more complex....would you mind trying the following....

On the initial boot menu you can access the failsafe menu via F6.
Would you mind trying to boot into the live OS using each and every option in the failsafe menu one at a time.

I could say pick this and/or that, but any combo might work actually.

mohonkjoey

Post by mohonkjoey »

The first Fail safe option in the advanced menu worked!

Trying to install now…..installed perfectly using failsafe option 1.

Is there any way to optimize the graphics card on this Asus N100DC-IT ? I’m running latest kernel updates now

I seem to be stuck in 800x600 after all….