Problem with WIFI and Language (solved)

The Commodore OS Vision Linux distribution and Linux software discussion and help.
EvilOne
pinterest Kuchnie na Wymiar Warszawa

Problem with WIFI and Language (solved)

Post by EvilOne »

Good morning. I have a problem, I can't find the option to search for wifi networks... can you help me?

Aulddood

Re: Problem with wifi

Post by Aulddood »

EvilOne wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:24 am Good morning. I have a problem, I can't find the option to search for wifi networks... can you help me?
I have the same issue on my Acer travelmate and am looking for a solution? I suspect COS is not seeing the Wifi hardware and not installing the driver. Still trying to discover how to see what drivers are installed :)

EvilOne

Post by EvilOne »

My laptop is an HP... but I'm not an expert in Linux, I wouldn't know how to install drivers on the COS... :(

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Post by LeoNigro »

Hi EvilOne,

If you know your laptop's model code you could look that up to determine your Wifi chip.
Then we can determine what package/s to install.
COS has access to non-free repositories, so we should be good to access proprietary drivers.

You might try the following CLI incantation to see if you can get any hints about your wifi driver.
lspci | grep -i net

Let me know how you go.

Also, it would seem every page covering wifi asks you to check if your laptop has a WiFi switch or key that needs to be turned on.

I think it's ridiculous that there isn't a simple script to determine all of this. I'm tempted to try to write one.

Also if you can get to the internet via an ethernet cable try, Update Commodore OS from the Commodore OS menu, which does a regular linux update and upgrade (before checking for specific COS updates). It..... should..... take.... a.... while.....
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

EvilOne

Post by EvilOne »

So... with the CLI command I can't understand anything, I'm not familiar with Linux and, above all, everything is in English and I don't understand it that well. Then, I entered the option to update the OS, but it asks me for a password that I don't know! And also, when I entered the laptop's BIOS, I couldn't find the WiFi options...HELP!!!

EvilOne

Post by EvilOne »

At least someone explain to me how to install wifi drivers on this OS! Maybe from a USB stick, since I have no way of connecting online! Then I wonder... how do you release an OS without the possibility of connecting to WiFi?!

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Post by LeoNigro »

Linux is supposed to install with all the drivers it recognises.
Debian traditionally doesn't install with proprietary drivers but our does.
Unfortunately, WiFi drivers on Linux are a bit hit and miss. Sometimes an arcane setting needs to be made.

I appreciate it is difficult, and that everything seems like gobbeldygook.
There is nothing much I can personally do about it, except attempt to help via the forum.

As for your default password. On first boot you would have been told what it is and asked to change it.
If you haven't changed it then it is still set to the default one which is:
"C=" or the capital C key followed by the equals key.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Post by LeoNigro »

@EvilOne
And also, when I entered the laptop's BIOS, I couldn't find the WiFi options...HELP!!!
I didn't mean in the BIOS. I mean there might actually be a switch on your laptop to engage it.

You might try the following CLI command to see if you can get any hints about your wifi driver.

Code: Select all

lspci | grep -i net
Let me know how you go.
Yes these commands seem alien to me also. I pretty much Google what I can and this command is the first step to diagnosing the problem.

EvilOne

Post by EvilOne »

Thanks Leo. With the password you provided me I updated the system. It still doesn't see wifi, but I bought a USB wifi and it works with that! There are no buttons on the laptop to activate wifi. Can I ask you for OT info? I have set the Italian language for the OS, but everything remains in English... any suggestions?

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Post by LeoNigro »

I have set the Italian language for the OS, but everything remains in English... any suggestions?
This is probably the fastest way to deal with all the language issues.

Code: Select all

sudo apt install locales-all
I haven't tested this.
Let us know how you go.