Commodore hardware ROMs

Help and guidance on all things regarding classic computer and console emulation via Commodore OS.
LeoNigro
Site Admin
pinterest Kuchnie na Wymiar Warszawa

Commodore hardware ROMs

Post by LeoNigro »

In a perfect world we would be able to distribute the C64 and Amiga hardware ROMs, but they are considered proprietary and would require a license.

Commodore OS comes with:
The Mega65 open source ROM for C64 emulation and the AROS 16-bit open source hardware ROM for Amiga emulation.
Thank goodness these groups exist and they deserve our support. Each of these provide a certain level of compatibility, but it is far from perfect.

The real hardware ROMs for Commodore 8-bit and Amiga ROMs can be downloaded from Cloanto's website through their C64 Forever and Amiga Forever packages. Again, in a perfect world Cloanto's game launchers would run within the Linux eco-system, or even under Wine, but unfortunately they don't. Not even their installers will run. (If by some miracle you get these to run within Linux please let me know.)

There are instructions within the menu option below on how to obtain the proprietary hardware ROMs from these packages.
System --> Commodore OS --> Cloanto Commodore ROM Setup

The Commodore 8-bit ROMs are no problem (follow the prompts), however, the Amiga ROMs would have to be purchased, installed and even registered(!) on a Windows machine before being transferred to your Commodore OS installation.

Besides owning the actual machines, many of us have purchased these Amiga ROMs on CDs (sometimes several times).
You may already own a CD with these Amiga ROMs, maybe even several versions.
There is currently no extractor in Commodore OS (although there used to be). I think they sometimes change folders depending on the year/version.
If you own a copy and would like to work with me on building an extraction script for the ROMs for an update let me know.
(God knows where my CDs got to)
I just need a DOS "dir /s > c:files.txt" of the folder structure of the various CD versions just to be sure I am getting right, and then for you to test it.

Also, note that the RunAmiga script(which is already file associated) attempts to run emulation of dms, adf and rp9(shallowly) files with the proprietary hardware ROMs (if configured) based on the folder you are in. If you are in the A500 folder you're going to get Kickstart 1.3, and if you are in the A1200 folder with Kickstart 3.1. It will also attempt to put disk 1, 2 and 3 in subsequent disk drives as long as the last character of the ROM file is numeric (Yes, I could make it more intelligent with filenames).
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

glorp

Re: Commodore hardware ROMs

Post by glorp »

I was able to export listings from a few ISOs: Amiga Forever 2010, Amiga Forever 9+, and C64 Forever 9+. They are attached. I also have MSIs for 2016+, 7+, 8+, and 9+ but I don't think you need those.
Attachments
C64Forever9Plus.zip
(10.27 KiB) Downloaded 1442 times
AmigaForever2010.zip
(80.48 KiB) Downloaded 1432 times
AmigaForever9Plus.zip
(102.69 KiB) Downloaded 1447 times

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Re: Commodore hardware ROMs

Post by LeoNigro »

Thanks. That'll do nicely.
I'll see if anything can be done for update 1.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)