Installing Commodore OS Vision

The Commodore OS Vision Linux distribution and Linux software discussion and help.
LeoNigro
Site Admin
pinterest Kuchnie na Wymiar Warszawa

Re: Installing Commodore OS Vision

Post by LeoNigro »

Once you have updated the kernel and rebooted let me know how you go.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

mohonkjoey

Post by mohonkjoey »

I believe my issue is that the monitor is unknown. I have tried 3 separate monitors and none detected.

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Post by LeoNigro »

800 by 600 isn't good enough, not even on an unknown monitor.
Please ensure you are doing this AFTER installation, and not from the Live USB.

Keep updating the kernel from the Commodore OS menu.
System --> Commodore OS --> Install Latest Linux Kernel

It might be that full support for the graphics chipset from Debian is still incoming (kinda doubt it).

Because you've got nothing really to lose right now, let's try this:
System --> Preferences --> Hardware --> Additional Drivers

Then click "Proposed Updates"
then close.
You'll be asked for your password, and it will start refreshing its cache.
Once that is finished try updating the kernel again.
System --> Commodore OS --> Install Latest Linux Kernel
(It will ask for confirmation once during the process, so unfortunately you can't leave it unattended)
When it has finished it will ask you to close the window and to reboot.

I don't know if this is my imagination but it rebooted much faster after this.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

Grunchy

Post by Grunchy »

I used this to replace the OS on Mac Mini 2014 (I have the low-end version: 1.4 GHz i5 4260u, 4GB Ram, 500GB HDD, foolishly updated to Monterey which it clearly cannot run to any practical effect).
I had a hard time getting past "format error," I kept asking to use the entire HDD and it kept giving me a format error when partitioning /dev/sda1.
Incidentally to run Gparted or any other System Tool the authorization password is "C=" in case anybody else gets stuck there.
I had to boot into Macintosh Recovery over & over to erase the HDD. For awhile it let me choose "Scheme" including GUID, MBR) and "Format" (APFS, APFS encrypted, APFS case sensitive, Mac OS extended/journaled/encrypted/case sensitive, MS-DOS fat, Exfat). Nothing seemed to make any difference.
Eventually what worked was to Erase it back to a regular Macintosh drive (APFS) and that eliminated the "Scheme" selection box on the next reboot, I'm not sure what it was stuck on but at last Linux was able to set up a proper file system.
So the Commodore OS 2.0 installer finally got past 12% and completed formatting the drive, transferring the system, installing Grub and all of that. Whew!
I have to say, this is one hell of a machine now that it's running. It runs ANY Commodore machine, ANY Atari, MOST arcade cabinets, Nintendo, Playstation, DOS Box, Steam games (well: nothing too intensive on this older Mac), web browsing, Libre office, this is quite impressive! The colors and animations look gorgeous though a bit hard to read sometimes. Basically it has rescued this older machine, which was unused and frankly unusable with its OEM configuration.

mohonkjoey

Post by mohonkjoey »

Thanks for the response. I will try this however, I am out of town for a week and a half.

wonderli

Post by wonderli »

seems to an issue with Debian 11 and Intel UHD Graphics adapter : https://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=154373
I'm stuck as well on 800x600 on the ASrock N100. STrange that the live installer runs at 1280x720.
Tried with Backport and newer Firmware but this did not solve the issue ...

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Post by LeoNigro »

Well, that incompatibility sucks. Sorry this didn't work out for you.

Assuming you have a big box computer and you are really, really intent on your machine running Commodore OS as its main OS, you could either purchase a really cheap (maybe used) older graphics card, which linux most likely will support. There are plenty on ebay, which are inexpensive.

OR

You could fake it, by running Windows (with autologin) and have it run Commodore OS in VirtualBox straight away. (setting your taskbar to hidden, and putting a commodore logo as a background :D ).

To do so.
Create a shortcut.
Open VirtualBox
highlight the VM you want to startup
click "Machine" → "Create Shortcut on Desktop"

Add to Windows startup
Start → Run
type in "shell:startup"
copy & paste the shortcut in here.

Mind you, my system did have some graphical artifacts when I tried this....so your mileage may vary.

There are other solutions discussed here that may work better. (and you might also try getting it to shutdown your Windows when you exit too)
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/459 ... ndows-boot

You can likely do something similar from the latest Debian or Ubuntu.

Unfortunately, this problem won't be resolved until Commodore OS 3 which would be built on a later base platform, but I have no plans to build this until next year at the earliest.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

wonderli

Post by wonderli »

don't worry. I', more than happy to run it in Virtualbox with full resolution.
It would have been perfect to run it on the N100 built in the new MyRetro Barebone.
Tried as well upgrading to Debian 12 and MC23 without success, but i will look further into when time allows.

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Post by LeoNigro »

To be honest I'm rather surprised this is an issue so long after the chip has been released.
I've seen a couple of reports from people online that the latest kernel (for our Debian release) now supports accelerated graphics for N100 which would imply that higher resolutions are also supported.

So just to confirm:
Once the OS is fully installed you have
gone into the Commodore OS menu and updated to kernel,
rebooted and then
gone back to the Commodore OS menu and selected to Update Commodore OS,
then rebooted.

If that failed you followed the procedure a few posts above regarding Additional Drivers
and then followed the previous steps again.

Should you spend time retrying and it doesn't work then I am sorry to have wasted your time.

Now if that all fails I do have something else I've yet to test that could help that I was potentially saving for an update.

wonderli

Post by wonderli »

no problem, more than happy if i can give something back in form of testing.
Tht's correct.
  • Installed
    update kernel (went from 6.5.0-5-amd64 to 6.6.15-amd64)
    reboot
    update Commodore OS (no updates found, is up to date)
    enabled additonal driver source
    updated packe list
    update kernel (gave me only a minor update on 1 package)
    reboot
and still only 800x600 is available as Resolution.
I gave it a try on the same hardware with Mint 21.3 Cinnamon and MX 23.2 XFCE AHS (kernel 6.6.12-1), and both work perfectly with 1920x1080

so back to the Commodore OS and enabled "Other Software" mx-linux bullseye ahs repo, sounds promesing as this worked with MX.
This gave me additional packages on kernel, modules and firmware updates.
reboot, still only 800x600

let me know if it helps to send you some logs or config files