Upgrading from the preview/beta

The Commodore OS Vision Linux distribution and Linux software discussion and help.
jwindberg
pinterest Kuchnie na Wymiar Warszawa

Upgrading from the preview/beta

Post by jwindberg »

Will previous editions of Commodore OS self update to the final release, or is a new install required?

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Re: Upgrading from the preview/beta

Post by LeoNigro »

Good question.
Short version:
Sorry, but after much mulling over, it would be better to install from scratch I'm afraid.

Long version:
I feel you deserve a detailed answer, as I appreciate your adoption of Commodore OS.
I've been mulling over the benefit to cost ratio of attempting to do it.
It is my understanding that the last beta came out way back in May and was distributed to C64x purchasers(begrudgingly on my part) with the understanding that it was a preview edition. And even then only a smaller amount took it up, and I never really got a number. Back then, I contemplated that it would be relatively easy to perform the update, little knowing how much active formative development would occur, until I was happy enough with the end product to release the distro to the public.
Lots of little minor things changed under the hood, new apps included, with custom configurations, and changes to folder structures and permissions and little quality of life things. And yet the previous beta is not so different to the release version that it couldn't technically be updated, but with considerable effort and testing, and then you could never be sure, and in that regard it would always be the inferior version, more potentially prone to breakage on update.
What would it involve? How long would it take to script? How many variables would it introduce going forward?
Would I be opening up pandora's box when it comes to support? Linux is a finicky beast and it's only me after all and this is a hobby.
Consider also, it wasn't all that long ago that even final releases of linux distributions, would require a complete re-installation.
And some people change linux distros like they change clothes.
When I weigh everything up, I feel it would be for the best if previous beta users (eventually) install the new version from scratch (if they want to).
If only to ensure everyone is on the same footing going forward with the added benefit of being able to provide the same advice to everyone.
So my apologies in that regard. I really wanted it to be update-able from the last beta, but it would be for the best if it wasn't.

But look on the bright side, you can download the release version of Commodore OS from within Commodore OS (I prefer qBittorent which isn't set up as the default unfortunately) and use "MX Live USB Maker" to write it to your USB or SD card (which doesn't have an icon in the menu unfortunately).
You can get to "MX Live USB Maker" by just typing USB into the Applications Menu (second icon on the dock), or go to the Control Center and select additional tools.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)