My C128D Adventure So Far

A place to discuss our classic Commodore machines, their software and active scenes.
LeoNigro
Site Admin
pinterest Kuchnie na Wymiar Warszawa

My C128D Adventure So Far

Post by LeoNigro »

I recently bought a C128D, which was my dream machine of the 8-bit era, and it was all working fine for a week or two, and then I decided to re-arrange stuff on my desk and when I plugged it back into the monitor heard a zapp. Damn! No sound. I've clearly blown the SID. So I bought an ARMSID because it's just too hard to track down the right SID chip version and my spare C64 for parts wasn't going to work.

In the meantime I, quite impulsively, bought a Sidekick64 which has dual SID capability, but requires some soldering to the SID pins to accomplish. I kinda half hoped it would replace the SID, but as it turns out wires needs to be connected to the original SID. So I'm going to go out on a limb and see if it will still work with the ARMSID installed. But, I've never done any soldering before so I have some trepidation. I saw someone on Youtube using these IC clips instead, so I bought some, and if that works, I intend to keep these permanently attached when I eventually close the case (which does worry me a little).

I finally managed to get into the C128D, and filmed the whole process including where the screws go because there are too damn many. However, I got stuck trying to unscrew (what I assume is) the internal power supply, which has a threaded screw. So close yet so far and it remains a big heap sitting on my workbench. I went out and bought a drill, because I had a few non-working hand-me-downs, but haven't tried it yet. I heard you can use a rubber band for traction on the screw.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Re: My C128D Adventure So Far

Post by LeoNigro »

Well, the rubber band didn't work with extracting the screw.
So then I got a file, and cut a groove in the screw so a flat head screwdriver could have a chance.
Soon enough the screw was off, and it was the last one.

So I got the radiation shield off, and pulled off the SID (which resisted a great deal) and plugged in the ARMSID.
I was going to connect the Sidewinder 64 SID functionality, via some IC clips, but then realised that the chip legs(?) are more covered by the ARMSID, and there was no way I could vampire onto them. I was having people over for Christmas so I just closed it up and hoped for the best.
Later, I set up the C128D and the SID worked fine, for a while, however the cable kept cutting out when it flexed.
At least I hope it's the cable and not something loose near the cable socket. So, I ordered a new video/audio cable to be sure.
I guess I could have tried the cable out on the C64 sitting on the display shelf nearby, but I couldn't be bothered.

Now, I am left wondering, was I stupid enough to have not tried everything, and bought an ARMSID when the regular SID may have been fine and it was just the cable playing up. Arrgh!!! I'd like to think I knew the difference....and I'm not about to go through the rigamarole of opening that damn case up again to put the first SID back in.

Hey Guys. If anyone is having difficulty creating threads or posting to a desired forum (aside from the news ones), let me know via a PM.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Post by LeoNigro »

Finally, the new cable arrived and everything is working great.
The ARMSID is indistinguishable from the real thing, and the C128D probably had the least supported SID anyway.
I have some really old retro PC speakers that can do some sort of surround sound effect which does even more wonders.
The Sidewinder64 is amazing. Especially when you track down a cartridge ROM pack online.
Every ROM loads up instantly.

Unkle K

Post by Unkle K »

Good to hear you got it working. What's the sound quality on the Armsid like? Did you notice a difference?

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Post by LeoNigro »

It sounds absolutely fine to me.....and I think there are also settings you can fiddle around with also.

Typically my use case is revisiting the games and tunes of old, rather than playing the latest crazy stuff which is pushing the SID to the max.
And I actually did notice a slight difference with something.
I am pretty familiar with the I-Ball tune which I love, and it just sounds off a little on the main voice, like it is peaking too late.