Extremely Happy with my new Extreme

Computer hardware info, help, support and suggestions relating to MyRetroComputer's C64x.
Aulddood
pinterest Kuchnie na Wymiar Warszawa

Extremely Happy with my new Extreme

Post by Aulddood »

OK so wow, the C64 extreme is a thing of beauty and I am loving it (Well done Sean). Managed to get COS installed also, what a great Alternative OS (Well done Leo). Thank you both for bring this product to market, it is even better than I imagined, I have a picture of it on my study desk with razer accessories playing Legend Of Grimrock, which runs great :) . Hopefully we can create a bit of community around this thing.
418845658_3648120178781918_9175289870045356245_n.jpg
418845658_3648120178781918_9175289870045356245_n.jpg (243.37 KiB) Viewed 10550 times

EvilOne

Re: Extremely Happy with my new Extreme

Post by EvilOne »

How cool! Seeing the case of the C=64 always gives me goosebumps!

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Post by LeoNigro »

Thanks for your kind words.... I'm so gratified that you like Commodore OS,
and of course my baby, the Commodore 64x, which I co-designed with the late Barry Altman 12 years ago (which was my idea by the way).
Would you believe I had to fight tooth and nail in the beginning for it not to include a numeric keyboard. :lol:

I just looked at the price.... Wow!.... :shock:
That's far better than what we could do at Commodore USA in 2010 and so much more powerful.
It looks like moving production to China was actually worth it.
I hope Sean has a decent margin so he can keep it going long into the future.

It may be more expensive than the Maxi but look at what you get!!!
A real "Commodore" licensed computer that can do practically anything, complete with it's own dedicated and unique OS experience, not a toy you'll discard in a few months and try to pawn off to your nephew, who won't be interested. :)
I think we need to get the word out, that the new Commodore 64x may be the perfect beginner computer for kids to share with their Gen X parents who also grew up with a love of the Commodore 64. With all manner of software within COS ready to go, browsing, word-processing, video editing, image editing and even programming. You name it, it's in there or available for free.
......and I think many people are going to like what I have planned for the next update too. ;)
It's only going to get better. Be sure to keep some space on that drive. :mrgreen:

Also, looking at your table I notice that you're a C# dev like me.
You may be unaware that both .NET and Mono are pre-installed on COS and that even the MonoDevelop and Visual Studio Code development environments are installed and ready to go.

I really should take a piccy of my C64x....and Vic20x....but I'm still doing some surgery on them. The Vic is getting a transplant.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

Aulddood

Post by Aulddood »

Yes i remember the initial offering, my dad bought the breadbin version (very expensive) and my brother bought the slim. I could not afford one at the time. But I am now making up for that :) I am glad to see that we are all getting a second byte (pun) at the cherry. Looking forward to future developments.

I agree this is the perfect computer for a youngster starting out and the price of the extreme is very affordable.

Yes i saw the programming tools there and I am looking forward to doing a little bit of C# programing on The C64x and COS :)

Yes get your pics up leo. I also found your old youtube site. Get some new videos up :) i did read that you made a recent video about a 128 refurb i believe, I for 1 would be interested in seeing that :)

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Post by LeoNigro »

Wow!!! A Commodore family!!!!

Errr... Yes, I was planning to make some videos....but I haven't got around to it yet.

I think you may be confusing me with Sean as I haven't got any videos out there at all.
I'm not sure I could do that without some intense scripting. :?
I put together the COS trailer many years ago(which you can see on the download site)....but not anything since.
I certainly have not appeared in anything in person, not even in voice-over.
I hate the thought of putting my ugly mug out there and my voice ain't much better. :lol:
I almost got my 12 year old son(nearly 13) to do it, who loves video games and grew up playing with a lot of emulation and retro machines.
That would be fun....but I know wouldn't be able to resist turning it into a Youtube retro show and over produce the @#$% out of it and take a year doing it to the detriment of everything else. I've got too many distractions, and as my wife can attest, distract easily.
I guess I could stream the COS desktop with some background music. Yeah...that's probably what I'll do some day.....errrr soon-ish?
I've got OBS Studio and the OpenShot Video Editor on COS, so I'll have to use that eh....some day.
Also feel free to make such videos yourself.

Oh, and please help Commodore OS get up the rankings on Distrowatch(by loading the following page often which they use to gauge interest) and maybe leave a comment.
https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distr ... =Commodore

Unfortunately, it's hard to make time for COS as it is.
I am in the throws of trying to create a start up at the moment and working from home developing it full time with ever dwindling runway.
I am so fully occupied with projects to support that goal I feel guilty the moment I do anything else.
Releasing COS itself has been a guilty pleasure.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

Aulddood

Post by Aulddood »

This not you then ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzsmiuEYUQY&t=161s

Not really a content maker myself , i wouldn't want to scare people with ugly mug or voice either :)

It's good to have a distraction from your day job :) keep up the good work it is appreciated :)

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Post by LeoNigro »

Ha, Ha. I stand corrected. :lol:

Videos from 13 years ago I had no idea were still public. :o

In that video I'm giving a demo of the Burg graphical bootloader, which I really liked. :D

It's an example of a component that I couldn't get working for the current release 13 years later for one reason or another. :cry:

This reminds me, I've got to put some time into creating a grub theme selector. :geek:

Sorry, seeing that made me all emoji. :P

Deepshadow(MRC)

Post by Deepshadow(MRC) »

Hi Aulddood,
Wow thank you for putting this up. It's our pleasure, The J6412 board is a perfect choice i think, relatively powerful and doesn't break the bank! I take credit for bringing the C64x back but other than that, all the credit has to go to the amazing Leo Nigro and Barry Altman. I just wish Barry lived on - i think if he did - He would of probably owned the Commodore and Amiga brands by now. Your right though - lets grow the community! :D

Legend of Grimrock - that is an amazing dungeon crawler, I completed it but never got around to purchasing the sequel, I think its time i did! - I remember when Petri made the pre-curser for that game called Escape from Dragon Mountain - i think it had 4 levels - I always hoped that he would make a Captive clone too! :)