Download Commodore OS

The Commodore OS Vision Linux distribution and Linux software discussion and help.
Vader
pinterest Kuchnie na Wymiar Warszawa

Download Commodore OS

Post by Vader »

Hi

Where can I download the OS from the links in the download section don't work.
thanks
Vader.

Cheez26

Re: Download Commodore OS

Post by Cheez26 »

Yeah, I was gonna ask about making some direct download mirror links in the future, but I think the only thing we got for now is an official torrent.
a retro-gaming enthusiast
prefers she/they
<3

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Post by LeoNigro »

If you would like to make direct mirror links that would be greatly appreciated.
Please go ahead and let me know so I can include the link on the main site.
The ISO was being hosted by Archive.org but they got hacked and the site is now down.
The torrent is fast though. There are 100+ seeders at the moment.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

Cheez26

Post by Cheez26 »

LeoNigro wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 3:13 pm If you would like to make direct mirror links that would be greatly appreciated.
I would, but the ISO torrent was just under 6GB, so I can't just plop it on my Dropbox and call it a day...and I doubt zipping the ISO up would help much.

I'm sure somebody will make a direct download mirror link eventually. Sorry.
a retro-gaming enthusiast
prefers she/they
<3

Commodon

Post by Commodon »

LeoNigro wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 3:13 pm If you would like to make direct mirror links that would be greatly appreciated.
The ISO was being hosted by Archive.org but they got hacked and the site is now down.
The torrent is fast though. There are 100+ seeders at the moment.
Thank you for your work in making the CommodoreOS available.

I used the uTorrent client to download the iso, but I noticed the hash of the iso I downloaded is not the same as reflected on the General page describing the file in the uTorrent client, which states

Total Size 5.53 GB (5.53 GB done)
Created On: 12/21/2023 12:23:44 AM
Added On: 10/14/2024 2:35:39 PM
Hash: 9A61FF24ED613961006EF2787B752EB2A34A9CA6

Can you confirm what is the correct hash for "CommodoreOS-20231213.iso"?

For MD5 I show it to be 0100557ED15BC429131CC25CABBB8646
For SHA1 I show it to be 5632884E9B3F5E012B1BED71366DCDEA8A3917AE
For SHA256 I show it to be B25F772E8AD947993F8BA29A86827A67715B979C5E46A7D2E5B3ADA01C111084

If I can get confirmation, I am happy to host it publicly on Google Drive until archive.org returns
My first home computer was the Commodore VIC-20 with a Datasette. Later, I upgraded to the C64 with 1541, then I added the 1571. Later, I upgraded to the C128 with the 1581. I still have the C128, 1571 and 1581. All still work perfectly after forty years!

Wardaddy338

Post by Wardaddy338 »

I also could not get it to work so installed transmission on my Truenas and I'm now seeding. in one day my ratio is 18.3 :D

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Post by LeoNigro »

@commodon

That's really weird as the hashes are built during the ISO creation process.
We did have some shenanigans regarding usage of a zip file on launch.
It turns out ZIPs between Windows and Linux are not necessarily compatible.
So I had to quickly remove the ZIP file and get back to the ISO.
Perhaps the file was overwritten in one way or another during the process and that changes the hash? I don' know.
That said, I'm pretty confident the torrent is legit and hasn't been tampered with.
I'm hosting it. I'm using the same ISO repeatedly for testing and everything looks fine.
I'm a little surprised there's an issue as I really felt I tested it and checked.
If it's botched it is unfortunate, but fixing the md5 etc at this point with 100+ seeders is a bit late, so there's little I can do.
Thanks for alerting me to the issue though.
All I can say is, that if you don't trust the ISO then that is your prerogative, and hopefully I'll do better on the next release.
The torrent being downloaded should be from the commodoreos.net website
The ISO file is being hosted from the correct source....which is my computer, right now.
If it was substituted I'm almost certain the ISO of those people in the midst of downloading wouldn't work at all
and we'd start to hear complaints about it.
Hopefully, that has allayed your fear about downloading. But if not I understand.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

Fargoal

Post by Fargoal »

As a huge Commodore and retro computers and gaming fan, I was extremely excited to install this fantastic looking and loaded with features OS as my daily driver after seeing it featured in a few new videos that came out this week covering the new C64 computers.

Just my luck, the direct download link doesn't work, and I'm one of those people who doesn't want to learn about or mess with torents. Is anybody going to post a new link for this thing?

There's at least one video in the last few days covering this OS and the new C64 computers and cases that has well over a hundred thousand views if not more by now, so there's a ton of people out there who want to try this OS and it might even help them decide to buy the new Commodore hardware, so it feels like the boat is leaving the shore and the opportunity is being missed.

Don't mean to be negative. You did a fantastic job with this OS, so hopefully somebody will get up a working direct download link so this thing can get the appreciation it deserves among the retro community.

bumblebrow

Post by bumblebrow »

I just downloaded the files from the torrent and with the 4 files, there is the iso, an md5, sha512, and instructions file. The values inside the md5 and sha512 return the matching values of the ISO that is included. If you're looking at the torrent details and the hash that it shows, I'm not sure what that is reflective of. I am able to mount the ISO and I'll install it soon to test it out! Thanks for providing it!