Kindle Reader- 64-bit WINEPREFIX warning

The Commodore OS Vision Linux distribution and Linux software discussion and help.
jgrillout
pinterest Kuchnie na Wymiar Warszawa

Kindle Reader- 64-bit WINEPREFIX warning

Post by jgrillout »

I have a C64 programming book in Kindle format that i must read with the kindle reader application. When I tried to read it in a web browser it tells me to download the reader but there is not a Linux version. I tried to install it via winetricks and while it was installing, there were error messages that typically it'd expect a failed installation but i guess winetricks has the ability to recover from some errors and the install completed. When I tried to run the kindle app, I get this message "warning: You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. Note that many verbs only install 32-bit versions of packages. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug.
I'm hoping someone in this forum has a solution to this problem.

Thank you

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Re: Kindle Reader- 64-bit WINEPREFIX warning

Post by LeoNigro »

Yeah, 32-bit apps sometimes have problems on 64-bit installs.

See if you can install the software after issuing the following command from the terminal.

Code: Select all

WINEPREFIX=~/.new32prefix WINEARCH="win32" winecfg
There may be more to it.....if that doesn't work.

Let us know how you go.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

jgrillout

Re: Kindle Reader- 64-bit WINEPREFIX warning

Post by jgrillout »

LeoNigro wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2024 7:57 am Yeah, 32-bit apps sometimes have problems on 64-bit installs.

See if you can install the software after issuing the following command from the terminal.

Code: Select all

WINEPREFIX=~/.new32prefix WINEARCH="win32" winecfg
There may be more to it.....if that doesn't work.

Let us know how you go.
That did work to allow me to install the kindle reader. however when i clicked on the kindle reader icon, nothing appeared. I copied the command from the icon properties and got the message that the kindle.exe wasn't found. I had to change the path to the proper location. Here is the revised command i tried to use
env WINEPREFIX=~/.new32prefix WINEARCH="win32" wine "/home/Commodore/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Amazon/Kindle/Kindle.exe"
Here are the errors recived
0024:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk "KRFDynamic.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
0024:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Initializing dlls for L"Z:\\home\\Commodore\\.wine\\drive_c\\Program Files (x86)\\Amazon\\Kindle\\Kindle.exe" failed, status c0000005