Graphics corruption AMD RX 6800 XT (Solved)

The Commodore OS Vision Linux distribution and Linux software discussion and help.
Based64
pinterest Kuchnie na Wymiar Warszawa

Graphics corruption AMD RX 6800 XT (Solved)

Post by Based64 »

Having a weird problem with the graphics that I cannot seem to figure out. Graphics in any active window will immediately become corrupted upon any change inside the window, whether it is from mouse movement, or a change to the text in the window. Clicking on the desktop will immediately restore the window to the correct output, however any change will again corrupt it. I've updated the system, purged and reinstalled video drivers, including mesa and vulkan, but no change. This is the first time I've come across this problem with this video card. Graphics card is an AMD RX 6800 XT running on a Ryzen 9 7900X w/ 64 GB RAM.

I'll keep poking around and see if I can fix it, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them - may save me a few hours. :lol:

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Re: Graphics corruption AMD RX 6800 XT

Post by LeoNigro »

You said you updated the system, but did you upgrade the system?
Menu Option:
System --> Commodore OS --> Install Latest Linux Kernel
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

JimL

Post by JimL »

I also have this problem with AMD VEGA 8 graphics. Looking forward to Debian 12 version. Thanks for updating this - I used version 1 until the software got too old.

infraredbluebird

Post by infraredbluebird »

LeoNigro wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:12 am You said you updated the system, but did you upgrade the system?
Menu Option:
System --> Commodore OS --> Install Latest Linux Kernel
Since the compositing is garbled, it's *very difficult* to use the menus, but Peri's recent video did clue me in. It's the 4th option in System and the first option in the submenu.

BTW, what does this even do? It seems to download a new update every time you run it even if you aren't connected to the Internet!?

infraredbluebird

Post by infraredbluebird »

SOLVED!! ...mostly :D

The issue is with the compositor and the AMD drivers, which is sad because a lot of the good performing APUs are AMD based. Any time animation occurs, the area animating gets garbled; clicking the desktop will 'flatten' the image and display it properly but that doesn't help when you're using menus or wanting to view what you were typing.

THERE IS A WORKAROUND!!

I can't get this to work on the live USB as restarting lightdm triggers the "self destruct" joke, but if you've installed Commodore OS Vision 2.0 already, the workaround is quite easy to add. It involves adding the line "export AMD_DEBUG=nodcc" to your .xsessionrc file. That file doesn't exist by default so we can create it with one simple command:

Code: Select all

echo "export AMD_DEBUG=nodcc" > .xsessionrc
(Type this exactly with AMD_DEBUG being in caps and the rest in lowercase)

You can either use the GUI "Command Line Interface" terminal to do this, or just press <CTRL> <ALT> <F2> and do it while being able to see what you're typing. ;) Afterwards, reboot... no don't press the power switch or push the reset button that you hardwired to your user port, type in

Code: Select all

sudo reboot
and you should have usable compositing!

This has been tested on a fresh install on a system with integrated AMD Radeon Vega 8 graphics. Next stop: Steam Deck!

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Post by LeoNigro »

Fantastic work!!!!
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)