Commodore OS Freezes Randomly on Radeon R9 200 (resolved)

The Commodore OS Vision Linux distribution and Linux software discussion and help.
Thommy2k24
pinterest Kuchnie na Wymiar Warszawa

Commodore OS Freezes Randomly on Radeon R9 200 (resolved)

Post by Thommy2k24 »

Hello and have a nice good evening!
Thanks for letting me join!
Today I finally installed the Commodore OS Vision, I think it's really good. First of all, thank you for all the work you put into it. I actually wanted to use it as a replacement for Windows 10, unfortunately it keeps freezing randomly. only the mouse pointer rotates and nothing else. My computer is an AMD Ryzen 5 5500 with 16GB RAM and an older Radeon R9 200 with 2GB graphics card.
I installed it using Virtualbox on an external USB 160GB SATA hard drive. Furthermore, I can't get the wifi connection to work. It's a usb wifi , according to the windows device manager with the name realtek 8811cu wireless lan 802.11ac usb nic. I think he will be recognized.When I enter the data from the WiFi network into Advance Network Configuration then something turns in the top right and at some point it says no connection.

Thanks in advance for any answers.
Have a nice evening.
Greetings from Germany.

Thomas

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Re: Commdore OS Freezes Randomly

Post by LeoNigro »

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your kind words.

It really shouldn't have had a problem with your older generation graphics card. That is surprising.
Did you try updating the Kernel from the Commodore OS top menu?
System --> Commodore OS --> Install Latest Kernel
Or is that a not possible as you can't even see the desktop.
If the Live USB displays its desktop you could probably even install there and have it pass through to the install (hopefully).
or use the following incantation from the terminal if you can get there.

Code: Select all

sudo /usr/share/commodoreos/scripts/latest_kernel
You might then want to try the following incantation from the Terminal: (not tested)

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt update
wget http://repo.radeon.com/amdgpu-install/23.10.2/ubuntu/jammy/amdgpu-install_5.5.50502-1_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i amdgpu-install_5.5.50502-1_all.deb
Let us know how you fare.

I am of the belief that VirtualBox totally abstracts the host's hardware. Correct me if I'm wrong with this core assumption.
Therefore if the hardware works on the host OS, in this case Windows, then it definitely works within VirtualBox.
If you have internet access in Windows, that will be used in VirtualBox.

If I am not mistaken you shouldn't have to manually enter your Wifi information.
The wifi network will show up under the the network icon for selection.
Then you only have to enter your password/phrase.

Good luck!!!
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

Thommy2k24

Re: Commdore OS Freezes Randomly on Radeon R9 200

Post by Thommy2k24 »

Hello, thank you for the answer.
I simply reinstalled it again on the same hard drive and strangely enough it works now. The WiFi stick also seems to be working. It also shows me all the WiFi networks in the area. But somehow I can't get it to connect. I tried it several times and checked a thousand times to make sure I didn't make a mistake when typing the password. Even via a hotspot with my cell phone and a very simple password it doesn't work. what could be the reason?
Thanks in advance for an answer, help!

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Re: Commodore OS Freezes Randomly on Radeon R9 200 (resolved)

Post by LeoNigro »

Hmmm....Problems with wifi are common, but I've found they usually don't work altogether.
I invested in a cheap miniature USB wifi dongle to resolve my issue if you need to go that route.
If so, ensure it is Linux compatible in the description. Sometimes I need to re-insert it for it to activate which is a bummer.
The only way to know for sure if COS or Linux in general is the culprit is if if you install a different Linux distro.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

Thommy2k24

Re: Commodore OS Freezes Randomly on Radeon R9 200 (resolved)

Post by Thommy2k24 »

I just tried my old WiFi USB stick antenna (which unfortunately has a problem somehow) with this the Commodore OS connects immediately. it's kind of funny. According to Windows Device Manager it is an
Realtek RTL8191SU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 network adapter... unfortunately, as I said, the stick constantly loses the internet connection, which is why I actually wanted to throw it away. All in all, first of all, thank you very much for the help. I won't report any more problems for now. For now I'll just have a little fun with the wonderful Commodore OS.
Greetings
Thomas