Installation query

Topics not covered in the other forums.
Spellcaster
pinterest Kuchnie na Wymiar Warszawa

Installation query

Post by Spellcaster »

Hello I have windows 10 laptop and wondering if I can use something like ultra iso to mount the iso image of the Commodore OS and run it that way ?

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Re: Installation query

Post by LeoNigro »

The only way to run Commodore OS from within Windows is to use something like VirtualBox(recommended) which is free.
You basically just need to create an instance within VirtualBox and select the ISO file to install to a growing virtual drive image file it will create.
This is covered in the installation instructions. viewtopic.php?t=47
Running Commodore OS through VirtualBox is almost indistinguishable from running it as the base OS, and will always be 100% compatible.
However, I would expect there to be the odd graphical glitches here and there, particularly on start up.

To run Commodore OS natively on your computer, as opposed to through Windows, you must write that ISO to a USB stick via a program like Rufus.
You then need to enable your computer to boot from that USB (via the BIOS) and then follow the wizard steps to install Commodore OS to your hard drive.
That might erase Windows...so be careful.

Of course, you might just want to muck around with the functionality via the live USB and just cancel the installation process.
If you set up your BIOS boot priorities you may even be able to launch and play with Commodore OS(from the USB) when the USB is inserted and launch Windows when it is not.

I will move this post shortly to the appropriate forum category.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

Spellcaster

Re: Installation query

Post by Spellcaster »

LeoNigro wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 1:02 am The only way to run Commodore OS from within Windows is to use something like VirtualBox(recommended) which is free.
You basically just need to create an instance within VirtualBox and select the ISO file to install to a growing virtual drive image file it will create.
This is covered in the installation instructions. viewtopic.php?t=47
Running Commodore OS through VirtualBox is almost indistinguishable from running it as the base OS, and will always be 100% compatible.
However, I would expect there to be the odd graphical glitches here and there, particularly on start up.

To run Commodore OS natively on your computer, as opposed to through Windows, you must write that ISO to a USB stick via a program like Rufus.
You then need to enable your computer to boot from that USB (via the BIOS) and then follow the wizard steps to install Commodore OS to your hard drive.
That might erase Windows...so be careful.

Of course, you might just want to muck around with the functionality via the live USB and just cancel the installation process.
If you set up your BIOS boot priorities you may even be able to launch and play with Commodore OS(from the USB) when the USB is inserted and launch Windows when it is not.

I will move this post shortly to the appropriate forum category.
That was very helpful thank you LeoNigro