C64 emulator keys not working

Computer hardware info, help, support and suggestions relating to MyRetroComputer's C64x.
Bruce
pinterest Kuchnie na Wymiar Warszawa

C64 emulator keys not working

Post by Bruce »

Hi everyone- I just got my translucent system running the OS vision 2.0 and everything seems great except the C64 and C128 emulators are not working with some of the keys. The W, A, S, Z keys don't do anything or produce a character like a left arrow. Funny thing is that if I load the VIC-20 or Plus-4 emulators, all the keys work normal. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this?

Rudi

Re: C64 emulator keys not working

Post by Rudi »

Howdy Bruce,

Good to meet another newcomer to the COSV environment.

I've also had some issues with VICE emulation as, of course because of my age, I was not born in the time of Commodore or raised around its ecosystem. However, I have a solution to your problem.

https://vice-emu.sourceforge.io/vice_toc.html

I can't really relate to the older techies aside from, well, everything works with a manual. VICE by default uses the Symbolic (C64 default) keyboard layout. If you wish to change this to Positional, which is what solved it for me, you can under Preferences > Keyboard. You can also change out some of the specs of your C64 emulator such as a mouse, joystick, etc.

- Rudy

Rudi

Re: C64 emulator keys not working

Post by Rudi »

Rudi wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:57 am Howdy Bruce,

Good to meet another newcomer to the COSV environment.

I've also had some issues with VICE emulation as, of course because of my age, I was not born in the time of Commodore or raised around its ecosystem. However, I have a solution to your problem.

https://vice-emu.sourceforge.io/vice_toc.html

I can't really relate to the older techies aside from, well, everything works with a manual. VICE by default uses the Symbolic (C64 default) keyboard layout. If you wish to change this to Positional, which is what solved it for me, you can under Preferences > Keyboard. You can also change out some of the specs of your C64 emulator such as a mouse, joystick, etc.

- Rudy
P.S. if you have a spare Barebones C64x laying around, gimme a ring. :D