Printer Setup (solved?)

The Commodore OS Vision Linux distribution and Linux software discussion and help.
Bruce
pinterest Kuchnie na Wymiar Warszawa

Printer Setup (solved?)

Post by Bruce »

Hey- I have an Epson Wifi printer and I am trying to set it up in Commodore OS 2.0. I don't see anywhere to set up a printer in System Administration or control center. I'm sure I am missing something easy. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Thanks... Bruce

Rudi

Re: Printer Setup in COS

Post by Rudi »

Bruce wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:48 am Hey- I have an Epson Wifi printer and I am trying to set it up in Commodore OS 2.0. I don't see anywhere to set up a printer in System Administration or control center. I'm sure I am missing something easy. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Thanks... Bruce
(I check the forums regularly, don't judge me.)

See if this works:
Check your printer model with https://www.openprinting.org/driver/epson-escpr/

Code: Select all

sudo apt install printer-driver-escpr
or acquire a .deb that has the repository containing printer-driver-escpr
This is if it isn't recognized with your printer. Using the MATE control center, Printer should be under Administration. Picture below:
(I unfortunately can't boot to my COSV partition due to graphics card issues)

Bruce

Re: Printer Setup (solved)

Post by Bruce »

Well- I was able to install the Epson Linux drivers but there is still no folder for printers anywhere. I was able to open Libra office and it found my printer and printed a page but I would love to know how to add or find a printers folder where I can do more things like check my ink levels and have access to the scanner. Its so weird that this distro seems to be missing a printers section in system hardware or control center, or anywhere I look. Not sure what I am doing wrong here. Any help would be appreciated.

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Re: Printer Setup (solved?)

Post by LeoNigro »

Unfortunately, (as far as I can see) a Printer Panel appears to be neglected from the menu. I will attempt to add it in an update.
From the command line enter the following command.

system-config-printer
To see printer ink levels, please copy/paste the following command into a command prompt.

sudo apt-get -y install ink libinklevel5 mtink
The program called mtink handles Epson printers but it seems certain HP and Canon models are also supported but I can't find a list.
on installation it inserts two icons in Accessories for some reason.
or you can type 'mtink' from the CLI.

If mtink isn't helpful you can type the following from the command prompt to get a text listing of the Printer Ink levels.

ink -p usb
BTW the "Control Centre" in the screenshot above is accessed via the top menu "System".

I don't currently have a printer connected, but I think connecting a printer via wifi on Linux, whilst doable, is rather complicated.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Hi Leo-

Well, I tried the command line entries you suggested and it looked like it ran the script ok. However, I don't see a printer folder in Control Center.

When I issued the mtink command, it opens a box "Epson Utilities V 1.0.16" There is one port choice: /dev/lp0
If I select that, it does not find my Wireless printer which is a WF2760. My printer is not in the list of printers so I tried other as well as a few others and still nothing. This printer also has a built in scanner and I would like to have the ability to scan as well if possible. Any ideas?

Thanks... Bruce

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Post by LeoNigro »

No, there won't be a printer icon in the control center, but if there was I imagine it would bring up what

system-config-printer
does.
How did that go for you?

As I said before, I think connecting a printer via wifi on Linux, whilst doable, is rather complicated.
I have a link to a guide for printing to a WiFi printer, and it looks quite involved.
http://beginlinux.com/blog/2012/12/tlwi ... i-printer/
I'm not game, but if you are, please let us know how you fair.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

Bruce

Post by Bruce »

Hey Leo,

The: system-config-printer does bring up the Print Settings-Localhost and my printer is listed there. It did find my wifi printer and can print from office program however it does not appear in the control center or under hardware. The good part is I can print via wifi. I also installed an epson scanner file that allowed me to scan a document from the wifi scanner to COS however the scanner does not show up in control center either and it seems I have to use command line scripts to bring it up each time. I would like to have access to these in control center. How hard is it for me to add to control center so printers and scanners shows up?

Off topic- I am still not able to play a simple DVD movie in VLC player even after installing all the "restricted drivers". I want to get this Linux system on par with Ubuntu.