Glad to be a part of the forum!

Welcome to the Commodore OS forums. Tell us a little bit about yourself. Photos of your C64x give you extra karma!
Rudi
pinterest Kuchnie na Wymiar Warszawa

Glad to be a part of the forum!

Post by Rudi »

Howdy COSV community,

Name's Rudi. I'm a dude just into retro stuff.
In hindsight I should've wrote this intro earlier when I was more awake, but oh well.

I've considered moving full-time to COS since its earliest development in the early 10's, but the project of course was ditched. A few days ago as of typing this I've actually experimented with COSV in virtual machines and dared to attempt bare metal on my laptop with a dGPU but to no avail due to some issues.

I'm intending on building either a C64x Barebones or a proper tower, heads or tails, and actually properly daily driving Linux with a distro which has a proper, vibrant identity such as this one. :D

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Re: Glad to be a part of the forum!

Post by LeoNigro »

Welcome to the forum Rudi.

Sorry to hear the COS installation didn't work out for you.

Perhaps I can help.
Which Virtual Machine were you using?
What dGPU model are you having an issue with?
(If you reply I will move it to the issues thread)

The main problem could be an outdated kernel. You might want to try the following.
If you can get to a desktop, go to the menu System --> Commodore OS --> Update Kernel
I am aware of an issue with VMWare and N100 iGPUs but Virtual Box and most other GPUs seem to work.

Be sure to use hardware acceleration if using Virtual Box, as it's annoying when practically every demo I see doesn't.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

Rudi

Post by Rudi »

LeoNigro wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:58 am Welcome to the forum Rudi.

Perhaps I can help.

The main problem could be an outdated kernel. You might want to try the following.
If you can get to a desktop, go to the menu System --> Commodore OS --> Update Kernel
I am aware of an issue with VMWare and N100 iGPUs but Virtual Box and most other GPUs seem to work.

Be sure to use hardware acceleration if using Virtual Box, as it's annoying when practically every demo I see doesn't.
Yeah running the OS on bare metal with the latest 6.5+(?) kernel proved no results. VM with virtualbox worked fine! I'll say that, worked nice and smooth.
However, my laptop running a dualboot (a Dell G5 5505 with an Rx 5600M and Ryzen 9 4900H (Vega?) graphics) had some quirks.

First and foremost, video out from HDMI (which is hardwired to the dGPU according to the board trace). Linux detects DIsplayport-1 which is my miniDP, eDP (laptop display) but no HDMI. On boot, during the load before desktop, my monitor wakes up and sees the loading screen. But as soon as loading into desktop is done, external display shuts off and there's no signal. It has to be kernel side because there is literally no detected HDMI out from XRANDR.
A related issue is the primary desktop compositor causing insane graphical glitches. I'm led to believe it's another GPU issue, probably GPU switching not kicking in. But using a command to change the primary display adapter to the dGPU solved it, but not the external monitor problem.

Apologies for my horrible English (despite being American, ha ha.) It's way late for me. If you need any commands ran, I'll make another dual boot and troubleshoot.

Rudi

Post by Rudi »

Rudi wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:18 am
LeoNigro wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:58 am Welcome to the forum Rudi.

Perhaps I can help.

Yeah running the OS on bare metal with the latest 6.5+(?) kernel proved no results. VM with virtualbox worked fine! I'll say that, worked nice and smooth.
However, my laptop running a dualboot (a Dell G5 5505 with an Rx 5600M and Ryzen 9 4900H (Vega?) graphics) had some quirks.

First and foremost, video out from HDMI (which is hardwired to the dGPU according to the board trace). Linux detects DIsplayport-1 which is my miniDP, eDP (laptop display) but no HDMI. On boot, during the load before desktop, my monitor wakes up and sees the loading screen. But as soon as loading into desktop is done, external display shuts off and there's no signal. It has to be kernel side because there is literally no detected HDMI out from XRANDR.
A related issue is the primary desktop compositor causing insane graphical glitches. I'm led to believe it's another GPU issue, probably GPU switching not kicking in. But using a command to change the primary display adapter to the dGPU solved it, but not the external monitor problem.

Apologies for my horrible English (despite being American, ha ha.) It's way late for me. If you need any commands ran, I'll make another dual boot and troubleshoot.

Also, there is some UEFI bios errors labeled (bug) but irrelevant to boot, but once in a while it locks up my computer and I have to restart enough times to get a boot.

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Post by LeoNigro »

d
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)