C64 8-bit Software Development

A place to discuss our classic Commodore machines, their software and active scenes.
LeoNigro
Site Admin
pinterest Kuchnie na Wymiar Warszawa

C64 8-bit Software Development

Post by LeoNigro »

The C64 really kicked off my love of programming.

Back in the day, in my early teens, I had a wild go at making some games on the 64 using the Epyx BASIC Toolkit.
It had everything you could possibly want, inbuilt graphics commands (including scrolling), a sprite and character set editor.....and to me at the time, it looked like they made all the Winter Games mini games with it. Or at least I thought I could have made it with it.
I remember having to save pocket money for months for that software. Looking at the box itself is still inspirational.

I got a bit of the way through building a simple typing tutor shoot-em-up, as well as a Super Sprint clone.
But I never got to finish them. And there would have been far better Super Sprint clones since.
I played Codemaster's Grand Prix Simulator to death with my cousins and friends for years.
I remember making a few rubbish intros too with scrolly messages.
By the time I was good enough to code anything half decent, the Amiga came out and that was a whole new ballgame.
So, of course I started screwing around with AMOS. And got totally lost.
And by the time I learned C and C++ I was already onto PCs.

As an ongoing Zapp! 64 subscriber from the beginning of its reboot(https://fusionretrobooks.com/collection ... 4-magazine), I see there is still quite a bit of activity in the Retro space. Lot's of new games coming out monthly.
I wish I was already retired to play around with all the new stuff and even develop something, but I'm way too busy.
If I did have the time, and I probably won't, it would be on the retro inspired PC game I started making during Covid. :D
I think you'd all get a kick out of that game.

All this to ask:
Would any of you like to see some C64 or Amiga software development tools included in the next version of Commodore OS?

I am thinking of including C cross compilers and editors from the CC65 project.
That would give you a proper editor complete with running an emulator for debugging.
It also allows you to develop for other 8-bit machines.
Maybe there's even a way to include Commander X16 development tools and an emulator.
That's kinda a spiritual 8-bit successor to the C64.

I have PETSPEED64 sitting on the shelf, which I've never tried. I've probably opened the box once.
I know It's got a dongle which isn't fun. I wonder if someone cracked it.
It's Commodore's own BASIC(limited subset) compiler so it should be fine to include in the distro.

What would be appropriate to include from the Amiga side?
I heard the Scorpion Engine is the bees knees at the moment and allows you to make games for a range of 16-bit systems.

Any more ideas?
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)

termite

Re: C64 8-bit Software Development

Post by termite »

This is very interesting to me, because last year, I started researching and mapping out what it would take to create a retro style OS that could provide basic communication for the Internet. The plan was quite well developed and researched. I came to the conclusion that while I wanted something looking more like the commodore 64, 8 bit wouldn't be enough -- but 16 bit would still be retro enough, while allowing a little bit more capability.

My idea was to imagine the I was still in the lat 80's or early 90's and had a Commodore -- or even an Amiga, except technology didn't move onto 32 but Amiga's and PC's but we got stuck in 16 bit and 8 bit world.

So some questions/scenarios I pondered:

- What would it look like if we had internet connectivity?
- Could we write basic 16 bit software for bulletin boards?
- Could we have video chat? Note: I know the answer to this: DEFINITELY NOT! ..but what about of we plugged in a cartridge or added a new board that would convert live-streaming video into 16 bit graphics that a 16 but computer could render and then feed it into the 16 bit simulation? Perhaps we could make like 5-10 second messages that would load?
- And for sound, maybe we could have another board/cartridge translate voice into 16 bit synthesizer?
- As for Internet, we'd need something with a modern modem, but we'd dial it down so that it's converting everything into something a 16 bit computer could handle.

So, imagine if we had a Linux OS that acted as the converter for the aforementioned 16 bit video and sound, and then pumped it into a 16 bit emulation or something? I mean (and again), I do understand that a 16 bit computer would have no chance of doing any of this by itself, but with some help of today's computing power, we could build something that has the end result of the 16 bit look and feel.

So that's the kind of stuff I'd like to see developed. Anything that would pull the future into a 16 but environment -- again, as if 32 bit never came along. We could have communication, chats, retro style video messages, games and heaps of other stuff.

Or, failing all that, I'd like to build a Linux distro that literally only outputs 16 bit graphics. This would actually be a lot easier. So the environment would still have internet and access to the modern internet and all that stuff, but the screen would only display 16 bit graphics.

LeoNigro
Site Admin

Re: C64 8-bit Software Development

Post by LeoNigro »

Hmmmm... Interesting....
The thing is, we already had an era of 16-bit OS Desktops, so I'm not sure you would want to go there.
Amiga OS, Atari OS and Mac OS, Windows up to 3.1 even IBM OS/2.
There were also alternative PC OSes such as PC/GEOS(GeoWorks Ensemble), GEM, TopView, Visi On, DESQview, DeskMate.
I'm sure Unix with XWindows was also available on 286, and probably even a version for Unix on Amiga (but maybe that was 32-bit).

Commodore OS also includes a DOS emulator (DOSBox) so you could even run these desktops aboe.

If you really wanted to create an 8-bit Desktop with better graphics, you might want to try writing one for the Commander X16 project.
Or maybe one for DOS. I recreated the StarTrek LCARS desktop for a graphics project in C on DOS at Uni. :ugeek:

As for internet access.....you can forget modern browsers on 8 and 16-bit machines as the complexities are too high.
However, you could connect to BBSs over the internet.
There are some C64 add-ons that feature internet access to some BBSs that are running.
If anyone wants to do some research into that, perhaps that can be included in the next COS version.

As for things like Video chat. I saw this fantastic demo on a PET where they played a video file that displayed using PETSCII.

There was a speech cartridge for the C64. I kinda think the Commodore OS synthesized speech sounds similar but clearer.
You can have a go at speech synthesis in Commodore OS through the Command Line.

Code: Select all

espeak "Would... You... Like... To... Play... A... Game."
The dots are for a delay for dramatic effect ala Wargames. It's fiddly. It's retro. It's fun.

There is even a C64 OS for the C64.
Image Commodore OS creator. Site Admin. Owns: C64, C128D(Sidekick64), A500, A1000(piStorm), C64x(i7)