Alternative OS for your Extreme

Computer hardware info, help, support and suggestions relating to MyRetroComputer's C64x.
Aulddood
pinterest Kuchnie na Wymiar Warszawa

Alternative OS for your Extreme

Post by Aulddood »

While Commodore OS Is a brilliant Linux distro (i have it installed on a few laptops) I have now installed Linux Lite on my extreme and have to say it runs brilliantly. It does not have the wealth of apps that are available in commodore OS but you can have fun installing the ones you need on Linux lite. Very easy to use and its Debian based :) Oh and I can recommend the latest Chat Gpt 4o as an assistant for your Linux journey. It's expensive @ 20 quid a month but it it's like having a Linux guru right there beside you ... awesome :).... Right time to setup up my C64 emulator :)

paulie420

Re: Alternative OS for your Extreme

Post by paulie420 »

Just a quick reply - while GPT 4o is great, do make sure that you don't follow it as you would with information from the Arch Linux Wiki or Stack Overflow...

Sometimes GPT will suggest 'fixes' that will completely bork a system. For example, one user running Proxmox and attempting to get a Proxmox cluster running wanted to revert back to a non-cluster... GPT suggested several things to try, but after the suggested fixes didn't work it offered a set of commands - one that included:

rm -rf /etc/pve

... and sure, it 'worked' - but the user also just killed their entire Proxmox (and all VMs) configuration files. Don't ask me who that user was... I met him on some shady internet forums. :P

pAULIE42o
. . . . . . . . . .
/s